I ‘m not a tidy cook. Cast iron skillets live on my stove. Ingredients for the night’s dinner loiter my countertop, getting pushed side to side as I begin to prep. A dessert spoon rests on the corner of my sink just in case I want to revisit that jar of peanut butter I’ve been dipping into. I don’t even know where to begin with the dirty dishes. I’m convinced they’re exerting their squatter’s rights in my sink. Needless to say, I take every opportunity I can to cut down on clutter and use one less pot than I have to.
While it isn’t a one-pot dish, this creamy sausage and mustard greens pasta comes pretty close to it. All you need is a pot and a skillet. The ingredients themselves are equally unfussy: simple individually but together they sing. The bitterness of the mustard greens mellow out with a splash of cream and come to life with the sagey-ness from the breakfast sausage. After a long day of work, this pasta is a much needed escape.
1 tbs. plus 2 tsp. olive oil
½ lb breakfast sausage
1 cup French bread broken up into tiny pieces
3 tbs. shallots chopped
1 garlic clove chopped
3 cups mustard greens roughly teared into small pieces
½ tsp. pepper flakes
½ cup chicken stock
12 oz. linguine pasta
½ to 1 cup pasta water
½ cup room temperature heavy cream
¼ cup parmesan cheese grated
Salt and pepper
Creamy Sausage and Mustard Greens Pasta Directions
Makes 4 Servings
1. In a large pot, boil salted water and 1 tablespoons of oil for pasta.
2. Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in medium skillet. Breaking into medium/large pieces, brown the sausage. Set sausage aside to drain on a plate. Reserve half of the oil from the pan into a heat safe dish.
3. With remaining oil in the pan, toast the French bread pieces until browned over medium heat. Set breadcrumbs aside.
4. Return reserved oil to the skillet. On medium low heat, sauté shallots until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, pepper flakes and about ¼ teaspoon of salt and sauté for another minute. At this time, drop pasta into boiling water to cook to al dente.
5. Add mustard greens to shallot mixture and sauté over medium heat until they begin to wilt. Add another ¼ teaspoon of salt. After about two minutes, add the stock. Simmer on medium high heat for three minutes or until about half of the stock has evaporated.
6. Using tongs, add pasta from the boiling water straight to the mustard green skillet. Toss to incorporate the mixture. Add ½ cup of pasta water to the skillet and simmer for about 2 minutes until the starchy water begins to evaporate and stick to the pasta.
7. Turn heat down to low and add the heavy cream. Toss until pasta is coated and cream thickens. Turn heat off and add the parmesan. Toss to melt the cheese.
8. Crush breadcrumbs to smaller pieces if necessary. Sprinkle on top of pasta to serve.